Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Interview Two

I was supposed to provide an update of the last interview I had but I was too lazy to even bother writing about it. Not that anyone cares about it anymore but I was offered the job. However after doing the interview I felt that the job they were offering me would be better filled by someone else. I want to improve my skills as a scientist and the job they were offering involved marketing of scientific products with little to no lab work involved. This was not how I wanted to spend my time and furthermore I doubt I would accomplish what I wanted for myself so I turned it down so that someone else could get a shot at it. I guess you could call me stubborn but if I know I am going to be dissatisfied or unfulfilled with any situation, you can bet I am not going to do it. Of course I need the cash but I’ve never allowed money to dictate what I do with my life.

After I called the company to tell them I would not be accepting their offer, they were obviously shocked and asked me if I was sure if I wanted to do this. Then they asked me to explain why I was not accepting their offer in writing. In the email, I left out a number of reasons for my decision but in their eyes it would have been considered offensive if I did mention them, therefore I didn’t. I also wanted to maintain good relations with them just incase I decided to reapply sometime in the future (if they get their act together).

Again I am in the hunt for a proper job. Today, my friend and I were joking, about how bad the market is for scientists here. Practically, everyone in our class who studied sciences ended up teaching. I guess you guys know my stance on that already. Just one endless cycle of science teachers. No Thank you! I will find another path.

No comments:

Post a Comment