Sunday, January 4, 2009

Is he a Faggot?

Today I wanted to write about my desire to sleep in tomorrow and not go to school (Yeah, It sounded like a really fun post too) but something happened in the interim that completely changed my plans.

As I was writing this post, my mom came and sat beside me and started talking on the phone as she usually does. Disrupting me and peeking on my laptop as she chats. It so happened that I was also watching SNL’s (Saturday Night Live) Sports Extra 09 and a comedy sketch with Derek Jeter was just starting. In it he was dressed up as a woman. He and the other cast members, Amy Poehler included (just love her), were playing the wives of Yankee players. Derek who was playing Candy then started talking, immediately afterwards I heard, “Is he a Faggot?” To which I responded, “No he isn’t, he’s just acting in a SNL skit”. To you that might be shocking but to me it’s expected.
I was unable to find a clip of the sketch online but I have provided some pics instead.



And here he is without the women's clothes









My mom is one of those individuals that believe in treating everyone well and helping the less fortunate but when it comes to gays she has never kept her dislike for their lifestyle silent. Don’t get me wrong, this is the same woman who has taught me many great lessons on love and doing the right thing. Lessons which have remained with me ever since I was a child. As such, I treat everyone I interact with the same way I want to be treated; without compromise, even to those who have told a million lies on me.

Don’t think badly about my mom! Please. I love her a lot and it would kill me to know that I was the one that made people think she is a bad person. I think it’s just symptomatic of a larger problem, my culture. Mommy, like so many other members of the Jamaican population, is just naturally accustomed to hating gays because they aren’t educated about who we are. And frankly, i doubt every will. Additionally, being a strict christian, I guess you can imagine how homosexuality all plays out in her mind.

Everyone else seems to be catching on that I might be a raging “Fag” so why is it that my mother can’t pick up the clues? I think I've given everybody enough hints by now to figure it out for themselves. Those that can't, must really be in denial. Despite how hurtful those comments can be, I hope that the relationship we have now will still be there when i come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment